Wednesday, April 30, 2008

there should be a space, but it's okay

Okay, so let's cue up our favorite old Van Halen song and talk about teachers. If you have the time, money, and inclination, I encourage you to take the twelve-week cooking class at Kitchen on Fire. My only complaint is that I don't understand why Chef MikeC. insists on writing his name with no spaces. Puzzler. Other than that, he and his class are perfect. I've had some engaging professors in my day, but this guy seems to love what he does and the class is hilarious, informative, safe, and so goddamned fun I can't even tell you. So go take it. With your Mom. Happy Mother's Day, Mom!

I've been a recipe slave for a long time. Yesterday got a pork tenderloin, roasted it with rosemary, farmers' mkt carrots and spring onions, and made a nice fruit jam, took care of some waxy potatoes in need of a good beating. I love a good beat down, don't you? This was what was in my fridge. It took no time and because I was cleaning as I went (mis en place, people!), I had nothing to clean up afterwards but my roasting pan. Oh my god, where did this guy come from and how did he teach the most inattentive student in the world to cook?!

Followers