Monday, August 27, 2007

power of suggestion

Another interval between Movie Week posts. Let's not force themes anymore; it cramps our style. (Soon, though: thoughts on The Invasion and pictures from the eagerly awaited Harmaudicon 2007!)

Okay, so here we go. I think I need to defend myself. I recently received an assessment from Sasha Cagen, the decidedly adored author of the (at least to me) sleeper phenom, To-Do Lists: From Buying Milk to Finding a Soulmate, What Our Lists Reveal About Us. I am summarily characterized thus:

--------

Elizabeth seems to be a very busy, creative, social woman (so many people to call and email, I can relate!). Her mind seems to be cluttered (I can also relate). She wants to write down every fleeting thought and obligation to prevent them from being forgotten. I understand the impulse to capture every single to-do item. I'm just concerned that she'll tire herself out from looking at her own list. (It exhausts me and I write epic lists!) She might benefit from writing shorter lists rather than one long running one. She should not be writing a to-do list within a to-do list.

--------

My mind is cluttered? Now that I've read this, my head aches. My list exhausts an epic list-writer? After the sweep of feeling like the winningest busy person on the block, I feel the dust in my eyes without a drop of saline in sight. Could I somehow organize it better? Where's my solution? The whole point of a to-do list is to catch it all in the net. Why keep short to-do lists? I can remember seven things I need to do. Forty-five, though, and I begin to buckle without my Linus blanket of lists. Hmm. Maybe I should put thinking about that on my list. Or imagine this: living with no list at all. Maybe I'll burn my to-do list tonight. Can I put that on my to-do list and then burn the proof of my intentions on the planet? Oh my. Total ontological crisis.

Followers